I’ve been wanting to share my story of how I lost 40 pounds last summer for a while now, but never really knew what to say until now. I think the video explains it best, but if you don’t have 12 minutes to watch a video, I’ll condense it a bit on here.
My Weight Struggle
I wasn’t really an overweight kid. In the 6th grade I was bullied for my weight for the first time, and I think it triggered my weight gain over the years. I continued to get bullied for my weight through high school and I struggled with it a lot. I was maybe around 160-180 in high school, I honestly don’t remember because I avoided scales at all costs.
Once I started college, I was still living at home and had the same bad food habits from my childhood. I think an overall depression started my weight gain over the next few years and I grew to around 220 pounds. I moved out my 2nd year of school, and although I was still depressed because I had a crazy roommate that infuriated me, I was inspired to make better food choices and work out at my DTLA apartments’ gym. I was able to lose 10 pounds in 2 months and was down to around 192 before I moved back home because of my bad roommate situation.
Since then, I maintained around 200-210 for a couple of years. I found out I had PCOS and started getting seen by an endocrinologist to maintain it. Being a blogger and YouTuber with depression and very few friends led to a very isolated and sedentary lifestyle.
My Weight Loss Journey
In May 2014, I weighed 217 pounds. I got an internship at a PR firm and was motivated by my career and my doctor to lose weight. Through mainly diet I was able to lose 17 pounds in around 2 months. The next month, I only lost 6. Then I studied abroad. After I studied abroad I learned I lost 12 more pounds, bringing me to 35 pounds total. I lost another 5 pounds after coming home, bringing me to 40 pounds total. I started up a gym membership and went between classes during school. I was feeling a lot better physically and emotionally. Unfortunately I’ve gained some back, but I hope by sharing my tips, we can help each other!
My Diet & Exercise Tips
- Small Improvements = results (as long as you’re making an improvement on almost every single thing you eat, you’ll see results)
- Switch sugars: a nutritionist I saw recommended me to use sugar alternatives like splenda and stevia because they are not treated like sugar (or honey and agave nectar) are in your body. Plus, they’re usually zero or low calorie.
- Healthy snacks: Apple slices with cinnamon or low fat caramel for dessert, hummus and vegetables, popcorn, nuts
- Only drink water: This is pretty much a must! Your body will thank you. I skipped soda for the most part, but if you have to have something flavored, try a watered down lemonade, iced tea, or spa water and limit to once a day or less.
- WALK!: I took the metro everywhere which leads to a lot of walking. It’s a half mile drive to the grocery store? Grab a utility cart and walk there instead!
- Do exercises that you like: I like the elliptical, so I always do that. If you hate the treadmill, find something else you’d like! If you don’t like the exercise, you are going to want to skip work outs!
I hope my few tips can help someone out there. Whether you have a lot of weight to lose, no weight to lose, or just want to feel healthier, implementing these tips is so simple & it won’t take long for results. I’ve struggled with this for half of my life, and because of losing 40 pounds, the most weight I’ve lost in my life, I have the motivation to try even harder.
If you have lost a significant amount of weight, share your tips in the comments! Would love to get new ideas…