As a beauty blogger, I find that I never have the space to answer questions that aren’t related to beauty. So, I decided to open the floor up to my readers and YouTube friends to ask me ANYTHING! Get creative with those questions. Would love to talk about FIDM, my current college, studying abroad in Italy this fall, Invisalign, being a “big girl,” boys, etc. I want to give you the opportunity to ask me as many questions you may have, and because I don’t think many will ask, I will be able to answer nearly every single one! I am planning on answering the questions in August, maybe around August 19th, my 22nd birthday, so get to thinking! Don’t be afraid to leave a comment with 10 questions, I want you to!
I have been making YouTube beauty videos for the past 5 years, so I thought it was about time for me to give some of my tips to those with small channels. I myself have a smaller size channel, but since I’ve been in the YouTube community for so long, I’ve seen it grow and develop and would like to think that I know a thing or two (or five, actually).
The condensed-soup version of that 10 minute long video is…
- Leave a link to your latest video when commenting on videos. This is free promotion for your channel that not a lot of creators are utilizing yet. When the YouTuber or even someone reading the comments sees your comment, they will know you make videos and are more likely to check it out. And you don’t even have to mention it! I always comment about what the video is about, I don’t shamelessly promote myself, as you can see in this comment below.
Comment from I love makeup.’s new video series, Picture Day with Mamrie Hart.
- Know when to network. Know when and when not to sign. Don’t sign with the first that knocks at your door. Networks are best when you live in a big city and will attend events they will be at, or you have a ton of subscribers and can’t manage yourself. I’m glad I have a network, and I generally like them. I believe there are ways to improve how the network manages smaller YouTubers, and I hope to see improvement in that soon. But, I still get a lot of benefits since I live locally in L.A. and can attend events like IMATS, Generation Beauty, BeautyCon LA, and even VidCon. A good tool to research networks is Social Blade, which you can also look up YouTubers on and see what network they are signed to.
- Collaboration & collab giveaways. It’s hard to plan collabs in person, but do them virtually or test the waters through a collab giveaway. I recently did one and found that it grew my subscribers and the amount of views I get per video. But, it hasn’t done much for interaction. I also kind of hate YouTube giveways because they are drama. Blog giveaways using Rafflecopter are straightforward!
One exciting video I was featured in this year was Stilababe09′s DIY Your Life on Seventeen. I was actually casted for this video, but click on the playlist to see a few more videos I’m in.
- Attend Events & Network. If you can afford it and are serious about your channel, this is a great thing to do. Attend events relevant to your content, YouTube in general, or are local in your area. I’d recommend doing this if you’re signed to a network, because the big ones usually have some sort of get-togethers with their talent. Don’t bother showing up to an event without business cards, unless you’re Miley Cyrus (but, you’re not). I have used Vistaprint since I made my first business cards when I was 16 and love the price, quality, and service. This topic also pertains to social media. Reply to tweets of creators you love, for example, and they’re more likely to notice you if you are always interacting!
- Be Consistent. Uploading weekly is key. Prefilm and upload on private if you don’t have time to film a lot! If you aren’t uploading on a regular basis, any subscribers you have might forget about you!
I think that’s all I have to say this time. I can talk about YouTube for days. It’s a great platform that is very different than blogging, but I love them both. It’s actually one of my goals of this year to really re-brand my channel and make it better than ever because I’ve been bored with my content. I’m excited to study abroad, because that will make for some awesome videos I’m sure!
Share a YouTube tip of your own in the comments! Promise my next post won’t be so technical! Back to the beauty.
Father’s Day is just around the corner and today Oral-B at Target has some great giveaways going on for Dad, and asked me to share a story about my dad!
First off, Oral-B is hosting the Power Dad’s Smile Everyday contest with over $1,000 in prizes! Share a photo of you and your dad on twitter or instagram using #oralbsweeps until June 15th. You could win their Father’s Day Power Bundle, which includes an Oral-B Black ProfessionalCare 1000 Rechargeable Toothbrush, the Braun Series 7 760 shaver and a $250 Target GiftCard!
Now it’s time for my story about my dad. I wasn’t really sure what to share before, as I’m kind of a private person, but I knew I wanted it to relate to the fact that I do YouTube and Blog. When I started my YouTube channel in 2008, I thought I wanted to be a makeup artist. So, my dad, who has an MBA, told me to make business cards. I made them in Photoshop, because I had a photo class that taught me a few things. I made a mint green and black design with scalloped edges and a photo of my eye. I was a 16 year old with business cards. I can’t actually recall ever giving anyone those business cards, and surely have the majority of them in my room somewhere. But, “Makeup By Olivia” was a thing. And because of that, I now know how important my business cards are, when I go to events for brands and network with other bloggers! Essentially, my dad became my business manager without me even knowing it! And that definitely hasn’t changed! I’m constantly getting advice on what to do, and I wouldn’t have it any other way!
Happy Father’s Day, dad! Share a story about your dad in the comments below, or how you are celebrating. I’m looking forward to a brunch buffet!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
This week I went a little overboard buying new beauty products I was curious about. I also made a little fashion order because wearing the same dress to every event isn’t ideal! I mostly purchased new products that I’ve never tried before, which will make for some great blog posts soon! Want to see what I got?
- Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Refreshing Dry Shampoo: lots of YouTubers try this, so I thought I’d try it out!
- Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Shampoo: this brand was BOGO 50% off, so I got this to attempt beachy waves.
- Formula 10.0.6 Down To The Pore Tea Tree & Kaolin Pore Strips: blackheads be gone! I love tea tree oil so these should be good.
- Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge: lots of beauty vloggers love this- I decided I’d try it out & hopefully do a comparison video!
- Hot Tools Professional Hair Clips: I need these for my thick hair, I used them already and they’re a godsend for separating hair while styling.
- ULTA Professional Nail Dry Aerosol Spray: Impulse buy for sure, but it was only $2.99! I hope it works!
- Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo: I have an oily scalp, which makes for oily hair. Tea tree oil is supposed to help that, so I’m going to try this!
- Simple Cleansing Wipes: my holy grail makeup removing wipes!
- Gillette Satin Care Shave Gel with Olay: Thought I would try a new shave gel. This one was so cheap and works really well!
- Neutrogena T/Gel Shampoo (Extra Strength): Elle Fowler recommended this, and it sounded like it would possibly work for my oily hair, or my itchy scalp.
- Neutrogena Beach Defense SPF 70 Spray Sunscreen: Beginning of summer in LA calls for sunscreen! Got this because I’m off to the beach soon.
- Neutrogena Clear Face SPF 55 Liquid Face Sunscreen: I feel like I never wear face sunscreen because it breaks me out, this one seemed promising!
- Orange/Gold Polka Dot Journal: I love everything orange- this was a Target impulse buy, as most are.
- ASOS Curve Premium Lace Midi Dress in Crochet Lace: I’m returning this dress because it’s a bit long and night-gown looking for my taste!
- ASOS Curve Body Conscious Dress w/ Asymmetric Hem in Longer Length: I’m absolutely obsessed with this dress. Check the link to see my instagram post wearing this, although I def want to make a separate post on it!
- ASOS Oversized Round Glasses: I love big frames for my round-ish face. This round style looks nice and not too Willy Wonka-fied because they are pretty large.
Can’t wait to put these items to use! I’ll definitely be sharing my thoughts in some future blog posts. What beauty or fashion items have you purchased recently?
Hey girls! Today I wanted to do a very lighthearted and fun tag video, called the Sundress Weather Tag. I think it’s a cute tag to find out some favorite things about spring, including products, which you know I can’t stop talking about!
1. Favorite Spring Candle Scent?
2. Iced Coffee, Iced Tea or Lemonade?
3. What is your best Spring memory?
4. Which Makeup trend do you prefer: Gold eyes or Orange lips?
5. Favorite perfume for Spring?
6. What is Spring weather like where you live?
7. Favorite Flower?
8. Most worn Sundress?
9. Favorite nail polish color for Spring?
10. Windows open or air conditioning?
11. Shorts or skirts?
12. What is your favorite thing about Spring?
13. Best spring break trip? Any plans for spring break?
14. Sandals, flats, or boat shoes?
15. What song gets you most ready for Spring?
16. Spring Cleaning or declutter all year?
Let me know your answers to these questions in the comments!